Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Food from Penang.

I like to share food we had during our recent trip to Penang. And at 1:50 a.m. my stomach growled.....

Bob's Char Koay Teow in Glugor came highly recommended. A plate of  Kerang Fried Koay Teow only cost RM3.50. Can you beat that?
Also from Bob's Char Koay Teow. RM5.50 for a plate of Char Koay Teow Special. We packed another Fried Char Koay Teow and Mee Goreng for supper in the hotel room, the just in case we get hungry situation.
Deen Maju Nasi Kandar on Gudhuwara Road. Like it. Lunch was RM29.70. The night before my other half wanted to eat Nasi Kandar Beratur and when we arrived , hello...the queue was way to longggg to be standing in a queue. He scraped the idea.
Then, there was 'Luk-Luk' at Padang Brown (or locals called Padang Brom), something like steamboat. It was nice and enjoyed the peanut sauce dip. We also tried mee goreng mamak and ice kacang (peanut shaved ice). Dinner came about RM60.00.
Mee Curry is my favorite. I can't missed this. Located  on Penang Street, right in front of the Police HQ main entrance and inside  a chinese coffee shop. Don't asked me the name because it never cross my mind to check it. Halal, don't worry. The aunty is a Chinese Muslim. This reminded me all the lunches I spent with Abah, mom and Sheri on every last Saturday of the month when we followed my parents to work. We get our bi-weekly allowance and used the last Saturday of the month walking to KOMTAR and spent our pocket money.
Laksa was so..so. I was a bit disappointed actually. My memory of  Penang Laksa has fish. But this Laksa was watery, sour and where are the shredded fish? It may be another version which I have yet to taste, anyhow.....people were enjoying themselves with their bowl of Laksa Sold in a shop called Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendol. My personal opinion ....it's not for me.
Chendol from Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendol.  It looks good and we tried  (since this Cendol stall received great reviews among tourists from the internet). Can't remember what it cost, I say between RM2.00-RM3.00 a bowl. 
Wanton Noodle in Soy sauce in a coffee shop on Bangkok lane.
Mee Goreng Mamak on Bangkok Lane.
So we did not manage to get to eat more....I have a few other dishes in mind. Perhaps next time, insya Allah. Pasumbor Penang is the best...I missed so much Pasumbor sold in our Free School canteen. I wish I could taste it again. The best Laksa was behind Penang Free School on Free School Road. My sister and I would walk 30 minutes (without my parents knowledge.....what they didn't know won't hurt anybody.....) in the hot sun just to ta-pau the Laksa. When we got home another 30 minutes, we will quickly put them in a bowl and we sat down and ate quietly.....hhhhmmm.......our hard work have been paid off. 30 years ago, we can sit along the wall on Gurney Drive and enjoy your favorite food. You see food carts along the Drive. Now you don't have that anymore...

No comments: