Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Hello New Delhi!

In May last year, I accepted an offer to accompany my HR Coordinator for a 3 day HR Regional Network Meeting in New Delhi. There was the passport renewal, the visa application and online ticket booking. There were issues during my visa application. But all worked out well.

Two days prior to my departure, my Coordinator made ground arrangements for us to visit India's Wonder of the World, Taj Mahal. I was so excited of the thought that I will soon visit Taj Mahal. Never imagine that one day I will set foot in the majestic palace of love.

The Majestic Taj Mahal - White marble mausoleum located in the southern bank of Yamuna River in the city of Agra. It is a 2 hours drive from New Delhi if you take the highway. A gift of love by Mughal leader Shah Jahan to his beloved wife, Mumtaz. Mumtaz died after giving birth to their 14th child. I already imagining myself sitting right in front of Taj Mahal and  have my photo taken, alone. Just like Lady Diana.....you know....a screenplay playing in my head....berangan la tu....so close yet still too far......
Little did I know.....................

Indira Ghandi International Airport.
My flight was smooth and food was alright...after 6 hours I finally arrived Indira Ghandi International Airport. Time difference is two and a half hours between New Delhi and KL. After customs and immigration clearance I browse around the duty free shop. I needed to get a bottle of perfume for my personal use and thrilled I found what I was looking for in a long time. Bought also a few chocolates as gifts to our SEARO colleagues. Happy with my purchases I walked out the arrival hall and saw a gentleman holding a rectangular sized card with my name on it. I approached him, smiled and introduced myself. He instantly welcome me and introduced me to another gentleman standing next to him who will take me straight to the hotel.

As I followed the gentleman (by now I know that he is the hotel driver)....the weather in New Delhi is hot and dry. I see, feel and taste heat. The temperature was 42 degrees that afternoon....We arrived at a car park building and he asked me to wait while he walked on and disappeared into the sea of cars.

Mr Singh dragging my luggage.

Hey, it's not thatttt bad...hmmm....wonder what the kids are doing back home? It's Saturday and Shakira must have finished with her piano lesson. All I wanna do is to lay down in my fluffy bed and sleep.

Suddenly a car popped up in front of me and there was Mr Singh (that was what I called him,...since he wore a turban). Culturally speaking....no stereotype what's so ever. He placed my luggage in the car boot. Then, he opened the door for me. I felt a little bit embarrassed. I sat down in the 5 year old white Toyota Vios and next to me was a tray. It contained a bottle of mineral water and 2 packets of cold wet wipes ......

................so I began my journey in New Delhi.

The driver was very courteous referring me as, Mam. The drive to the hotel felt like a long time and I started conversation with Mr Singh. Mr Singh drove me around Delhi....there was the President's residential place, the Prime Minister's Office, India Gate and a hotel where President Barack stayed the previous year during a meeting in Delhi.  The hotel was closed for public throughout the meeting and only placed the President's and his entourage.

Auto-Rickshaw.
If you see in the background, it is Gyarah Murti - a set of eleven statue to pay tribute to India's freedom fighter and social reformers. The sculpture depicts the famous Dandi March led by Mahatma Ghandi in 1931.
The Prime Minister's Office.
Another view of the Prime Minister's Office.
India Gate - looks like Arc de Triomph in Paris. It commemorates India soldiers who were killed during 1st World War.
Traffic was heavy. By now the driver already gets interrupted twice from his mobile. Don't quite understand but I have a feeling the hotel was asking what was his location. Mr Singh hang up his mobile and said the hotel was expecting my arrival. He said,"Mam, you must be a very important person. Hotel call me two time. I take you to hotel now."

Our tour was cut short and not long after I arrived Hotel Lalit. Elegant and classy. My house for the next 5 days.

No comments: