Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Saturday Brunch - Italian Fried Calamari

This is what we had for brunch. Chinese Fried Rice with Italian Fried Calamari. Foo....yoo...... glamour nya,..wakakaka...Anyway it was good cooking and langsai in 15 minutes.
Don't you just love calamari? I love them. Sometimes kalau tengok ada fried calamari in any restaurant's menu, sure nak order as appetizer. I have tried cooking calamari with various ingredients but by far this is the simplest way of preparing fried calamari. I've seen my sister-in-law cooked it using almost 10 different ingredients. She added various types of flour, chicken granules, egg white,...and so on. It is tasty but too many ingredient involved just in one, what is supposed to be a simple fried calamari.

So I am quite broke and cannot afford to eat out. I felt like eating fried calamari this afternoon and checked out several recipe on You Tube and I found what I liked. Slipped another 30 bucks from my other half's drawer and dash to my local grocer. Picked out the most fresh looking squid. Got home, clean, and dry them on paper towel.

To prepare all you need is all purpose flour, salt and pepper for marinating and oil for frying. Put them in a plastic Ziploc bag and toss the ingredients inside. Make sure all are evenly coated. Then use a strainer to separate the calamari and the access flour. Fry it. Once the calamari is golden yellow, put on paper towel and sprinkle with salt all over. Just a little will do. Place them in a platter. You can squeeze cut lemon and dip it into a marinara sauce or accompany it with vinaigrette salad. Its simple and delicious.

Since my children were very hungry, I prepared Chinese style fried rice to go along with the fried calamari. I scrambled 2 eggs and rest it on a paper towel. Fried garlic, shallots and anchovies granules in hot oil. Add diced long beans and rice.  Must use over night left over rice which I refrigerated for best results. Mixed them thoroughly add salt and white pepper. Lastly I add the scramble eggs and cut green onions before I switched off the stove.That's it!

So habis memasak, split all into 3 plates and makanlah kita tiga orang beranak...yum, yum, yum....(Feeling guilty did not leave some for my other half....)

No comments: