Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2015

My (Step) Grandmother...Normah binti Adam

It was a bit unusual that my aunt, Mak Lang, require assistance from my mom to care for their mother, my grandmother. Mak Lang was down with fever while Aunt Azizah had the chicken pox. They couldn't care for my bed-ridden grandmother because they were afraid it could be contagious to 'nenek'. It was the first time since my grand mother was bed ridden 5 years ago.

I admit I haven't been the filial grand daughter. I was much closer to her during my college years while staying with her. After that it was the an annual ritual visit during hari raya....

Do not prejudge or misjudge the content. I write in my own perspective. I do not have any intention to hurt any one's feelings.

Nenek is a cool lady. When my dad remarried, I gained another grandmother.....The first time I saw her or rather being introduced, I found it was way cool because at her age she smokes 555 cigarette brand. One day she vowed soon as she completed her haj, she would stop smoking cigarettes. And she did!

Nenek is so happy when her grandchildren comes for a visit. For the grandchildren, they visited nenek out of respect. She loves all of her grandchildren be it blood or non-blood related. I've been there...

Nenek loves to travel, she has been to Australia, the US, Bukit Tinggi in Sumatra, to visit her children and relatives.
Nenek, aunty Azizah and me in Adelaide, Australia.

We would know when nenek doesn't like something. She will spill it out jokingly and giggle a bit. When in actual fact, it's a No-No!

Nenek is really been taken care off well by Mak Lang who at the time was working and living in DC. Mak Lang loves nenek very much and it is her way of making up for all the lost time being away working abroad. I have never seen someone who loves her mother as much as Mak Lang. Nenek was her life.

So my mom drove down from Parit and stayed at Sheri's house. Sunday morning my mom drove to Klang and she told nenek hadn't eaten anything for 3 days...all she does is reciting Quran verses and fall in to naps in between. Monday evening I got a call from Sheri informing me that nenek has passed away around 6:15pm at the age of 65 years old.

To nenek,...even though I'd known you half of my life thank you for being my grandmother during my brief stay with you. All my life I have create distance with people. I can be cold at times.  I was afraid of getting too closed and attached. But as usual me being me, I will always build a wall in between because I was afraid of being hurt at the end. I didn't allow nenek to love me.....Semoga nenek di tempatkan di kalangan orang beriman....Al fatihah.

No comments: