Pages

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Package Wrapped in News Paper.

Credit to Google Seach and bluepurpleand scarlett.com
When I reached puberty I only had my grandmother as a 'substitute mom'. By then, she was already in her sixties. I am sure she thought me all she knew just like when she raised her 3 daughters in the,...1950's.

This may be inappropriate so if you wish not to continue reading, I understand. For those who insist,....here goes.

I did not have a mother who can teach me about puberty and mensuration or what we simply called periods. Since I lived with my grandmother, she taught me what to do or use when I get my monthly periods. Perhaps,.... she did not know that sanitary towel existed then.....well, I was 12 and do not have the slightest idea what period is.

Nobody came to explain to me why we have it. No one advised what are we expected to do when we have it. NAA...DAA...Her version of sanitary pad is ancient and maybe she was taught the same by her own mother! Only 2 years after I reached puberty, I was introduced to sanitary towel and later to tampons during my college years.

Masa mula dapat my period I did not have to think of buying sanitary towels. I used my grandmother's ancient method. I dragged myself every time I have elder cousin or aunt who asked favor from me to buy sanitary towel at the local convenience store, Kedai si Ah Kan.....Why?

Well NOW the whole kampung knows that you have period because you'll be carrying around a box package wrapped in newspaper and tied with rubber band! Ialah dulu kayuh basikal, Clip kan kotak yang berbalut kertas surat khabar kat seat belakang. Kayuh basikal dari kedai, lalu depan klinik kerajaan, lalu depan rumah orang kampung, lalu tepi padang bola.....looked left and right so that tak ada budak lelaki tengah main bola,.....and finally a stretched of houses before sampai rumah my grandmother. How humiliating!

Young Girl Riding Her Bike.
Credit to Google Images and photography.nationalgeographic.com

Because of the package I was willing to sacrifice my bloodline....I was in a confrontation with Kak Ina,.... didn't speak to her for more than 5 months, even though she came back Parit every weekend from Ipoh. She goes to MGS Ipoh (I think.....? It sounded natural...) Anyway, it ended when Uncle Ros came to the picture.....I guess Kak Ina must have missed my company. She must have mentioned the 'stand-off'. She want to make amends with me! Personally, I can go on silent for the rest of my life......

Yes, it was a big of a deal!!!!

No comments: