Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Concubine Lane (or Lorong Panglima)

While we were looking for Ipoh wall art mural, I stumbled upon this....
Picture from personal album.
Picture from personal album. Market Lane (2nd Concubine Lane)
SO what's the history about these lanes? Obviously they are about concubines and mistresses! Ipoh was once rich with its tin mining business opened its doors to foreign traders and immigrant workers. This is where Chinese businessman (or merchants as they were known back then) and British Officers would keep their mistresses.

Located in a narrow alley line with 2 rows of 2 storey pre-war houses, the lane apparently also operated as a gambling and opium dens. I wonder how it was like then. Tried to look for pictures which I can share but nothing really strikes me as being the very old Concubine Lane, well at least how I imagine it should be...

And what's Market Lane? Well it was also known as 2nd Concubine Lane. What else? To keep 2nd  mistress....

There are on going restorations which could be helpful to retain some of its rich culture and history before it is gone forever. I am glad I learned something about Ipoh because before this I never knew there was Concubine Lane......

No comments: