Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Blast from the past #3 - University years.

My favorite season is Winter.

When I arrived at Kalamazoo airport, it was heavily snowed. A group of us was transported to University Inn, a motel like accommodation. It was Christmas week holiday. Since we did not know our way around so mostly we walk to the nearest supermarket called Target or to a Chinese restaurant for a simple fried rice. It was Christmas break and on campus dormitories were closed for new registration until after new year. So we stayed almost a week in the motel.

Came January, my first semester as a sophomore began and I was assigned to Davis Hall. It is on campus and only student above 21 years of age can be accepted. I took the week days meal plan so at least my meals were taken care off.

Initially my first choice was Harisson-Stintson, the party dormitory! Davis Hall was my second and third was Bigalow. I had never experienced staying in a dormitory and gradually I learned to love Davis Hall during my 4 months stay there. Locality wise it  is short distance to the student center (tempat lepak), Administrative Department and to classes. I shared my dormitory room with Karen, an American girl who majored in Education whom later became a teacher. We still keep in touch to date. Our room was divided into 3 sections; study area, bedroom and bathroom. Yup we have our own shower bathroom....and not sharing the main common bath/shower! I was impressed!

Heavy snow at the time of the year. Temperature as low as -20 degrees Fahrenheit. Yes, very cold and freezing.
WMU campus in the background.
Knollwood.
Knollwood. Yup....centerfold? yikes!
Ahhhh....the best feeling you could ever have...hehehe.
Banyak lagi gambar-gambar but biarlah remained as my private collection.

My first week was busy with orientation activities, getting familiarized where your classes were conducted and opened an FD and checking account. Got a myself a check book. Using check book instead of cash is widely accepted in most business premises. At the time I have almost USD11K in bankers check, traveller's checks and cash to last me for at least a year. That first weekend in dormitory our student leader from the campus International Student Center took us out to Hudson's, JC  Penney and Meijer for a shopping trip. We need to get bedsheets, comforter, clothing's, and other necessities. On top of those items, I purchased a 25" Sony TV and a Pioneer CD HiFi.

It was difficult to manoeuvre around campus on foot. The snow, cold wind, and once I got lost on the way to class! Rasa nak menangis pun ada. Tangan gendong bag, map and thick winter jacket zipped up, pushing myself against the wind to move on, sniveling but I survived. And survived for the next 4 years......

No comments: