Pages

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Dr William Henry Cosby Jr.

I am already on chapter 12 of Bill Cosby's Fatherhood. Reading his book never seems to amaze me how he said that nothing he ever done has given him more joys and rewards than being a father to his kids. Hehehe....I wonder how many fathers out there dare to say that!! Most parents do have similar tensions and conflicts in raising children. But how he turned his experiences into laughter sure is something.

So I have started to watch the Cosby Show on You Tube from season 1. And right in the middle of it, I thought about once I had the opportunity to watch him performed in person at my university.

I went with my other half who was then, my boyfriend.....hihihi...Indeed it was a once in a life time experience to meet him from the ninth row. Iwas really overwelmed!

Bill Cosby was really funny and I never get tired from listening to his stand up comics. Being a child educationist, he said most people in general believed the role of a mother due to natural instinct, were best suited to raise children and supervise responsibilities at home. Whereas the father was primarily the authoritative figure, a disciplinarian and the breadwinner. As our world are changing men have been struggling with unfamilliar demands and challanges of this so call a model fatherhood. Many have adapt comfortably to the changes in social and family patterns. Many fathers have been taking up positive roles in raising their own children, tasks that were previously assigned exclusively to women. Fair enough. I have to admit, I see the pattern and progress of a father from how I was raised back then when compare to today's father.

One huge lesson I learn from this book is you must not be afraid to let your children know that you're not perfect. Let them know that you are always there, you're the one they can trust the most and we're the best person on this earth to whom they can come and say, "I have a problem." I like that so much.

I'm glad I bought this book. Hope my other half willing to benefit from Bill's experiences......

Credit to Bill Cosby and Alvin F. Poussaint, MD  

No comments: