Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

A Blast from the Past #2 - University Years

This was my first ever trip to Chicago.

I asked my other half how did I manage to hook-up with his group of friends. He said they would usually hangout at the student center, or Bronco Mall and that we would exchange our 'hellos' most of the time. I think so, too.

But somehow another Malaysian student, Nasir, came to mind. Such a friendly guy. I think I got to know him first and later was introduced to other Malaysian students who came of what we classify the Mara students and JPA students. Nasir was neither, so mysterious. We categorized him as a unique and artistic individual. We surprised ourselves until today that we hadn't the slightest clue what Nasir major-in during his tenure as a student at WMU.  He was good with art and painting. 2 pieces of his artwork hanged on my dining wall. Who knew he may become a great artist one day and the painting may have value...muahahahahaaaaa. But most of us look up to him like a big brother. He was someone we can shared our inner feelings. He was someone we can debate on political issues. He was also someone we can talk 'adult stuff' at an equal level. In general, whenever we need guidance, he'll be the first person we turned to. After less than a year, he left. Nobody knew where and why until we received a post card a few months later that he was residing in Savannah, Georgia. He sent us a fridge magnet which I still have it on my fridge today.
Nasir in green jumper who had his arm around me. My first trip to Chicago. By the Lake Shore Drive from left: Panjang, myself, Nasir, Talib, Mr. X (sorry, couldn't remember his name), Mabut, Ina. Squatting in front is Arobi.
We stayed at an aquiantance of Talib, Kak Hasnah, while in Chicago. Kak Hasnah lived with another female friend and worked at the Mara Office in Chicago. She was very friendly and accommodating. We felt very welcomed in her 2 bedroom apartment. We stayed up late and tell tales and would bunk in the living room. During the day we would drive around and I know we visited some places but these days my memory is so bad......what do you expect these all happened 22 years ago.
Arobi and me in the elevator in Kak Hasnah's apartment complex.

Again we were at Lake Shore Drive in the day. Locals love to swim in the lake.
I wish I could tell you more because seriously I cannot remember what we did during this trip. Just wanna share pictures of people who were dear and close to me during my university days. Out of all, my other half and I did bump into Panjang and Mabut these past 2 years. Others?....

No comments: