Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Visit

This weekend we went back to Parit and we want to accomplish 2 things.  The first is to break fast this Ramadhan with my mom and secondly to visit Uncle Ros in the hospital. It was a tiresome weekend but I am glad I decided to travel back home, at least should anything happened I will have some piece of mind.

We drove to Hospital Batu Gajah and headed straight to WAD 2.  When we stepped in the ward we saw Aunty Salmah sitting next to Uncle Ros's bed.  After we exchanged salams, I can no longer control my tears.  They just rolled down my cheeks. I was so surprised to see my Uncle Ros, who was a hell of a guy, laying weak and helpless.  I just don't understand how much he shrunk from my last visit.  I took his palm and he gripped and squeeze mine for a long time. It was as though he tried to say something with the groaning sounds he made. The stroke got it to him.

Since my last visit in early July, Uncle Ros had a mild stroke on his left side of body. This happened the night after his dialysis.  He was doing find after the procedure but at around 11 pm he had breathing difficulty which resulted stroke. Scans and x-ray showed Uncle Ros has a blood clot in his brain.  Doctors said they medicate the thinning of the blood clot but paralysis will take some time to recover. Ain't live so fragile. After a week or so at Pantai Puteri Hospital, Uncle Ros was discharged and re-admitted but at Ipoh General Hospital.  The hospital charges was certainly a burden.  However, the hospital bill, which came to RM11k was settled by his brothers and sisters.

Next  I heard he was recuperating at home.  Unfortunately, it wasn't easy to take care of Uncle Ros.  Tantrums. Refuse to eat. Refuse to be inserted with tubes. Due to lack of water in his body, Uncle Ros found himself with blood in urine. A house call doctor advised that the urinary track infection (hematuria) can be controlled. But things got worst when Uncle Ros got the fever.  Doctor recommended that Uncle Ros to be admitted to Batu Gajah Hospital so that he will get the proper medical attention. There was no sign of cancerous cell in him. Aunty Salmah said, apa2 nak jadi pun, biarlah jadi kat rumah ni. She sounded like dia berserah kepada takdir. Whatever will be, will be.  Yes I know they want Uncle Ros to be confortable within his environment should his life ended.

So here I am standing next to his bed with him still clasping my palm. I was touched, very touched. What can I say.....someone I knew who used to be so active, jolly, loud, the martyr of this family has shriveled and all bones. It is like watching my father all over again.  His lips were dry and I suggested Aunty Salmah use a damp cloth to wash his mouth and scrape access from the tough.  I explained in a polite manner with reasoning and I hope she will take my advise. I know what I was taking about. He was breathing through his mouth and refuse tube inserted in his throat to suck out the heavy sputum.

Not only Uncle Ros suffers, his family suffers as well. It was hard watching him deteriorate.  It's a 360 degree turn. Yes it does disrupt the normal life of people close to him but  this is pay back time. He had care for all of us and it is our turn to return the favor.  Aunty Salmah was not much help when I asked what is the medical status, or what treatment is Uncle Ros getting, etc..I know he can get better with proper care.

Now I understand why people opt for euthanasia.
















No comments: