Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tuntung vs Penyu

When I was growing up eating turtle eggs were very common.  However, there were reports of abuse from profit making individuals as well as poaching which resulted turtle eggs became very expensive and rare.
 
In 1980 during my visit to Kuala Trengganu, it was the very first time I had the opportunity to see turtles lay their eggs. My dad who was stationed there made arrangements to drive us down to Rantau Abang. It was the place where hundreds of turtle would beached and lay their eggs. Turtle can lay as much as 50-60 eggs at one time.  Right before dawn the turtle will leave its eggs and headed for the ocean, leaving the babies (if it ever they get to hatch) to fend for themselves.  In Kuala Trengganu, turtle eggs was an easy access, you can buy it on the beach or at the local markets.  Turtle eggs are round with soft shell and looks like a ping pong ball.  The egg white is slimy but the red is semi hard. You need to boil it first before consuming it.  To eat it, you need to tear the soft shell and add a bit of salt then just suck it. By the way, Uncle Mohd Mokhtar, who was a police Inspector then, accompanied us throughout our trip.  Now he is Datuk Mohd Mokhtar Shariff, Johor Head of Police. Back then Uncle Mokhtar was single, good looking and available....hehehe.

Over time, the price of turtle eggs sky rocketed and it became very difficult to get.  Lesser and lesser turtle beached in Trengganu to lay eggs. Much later the Fishery Department declared that turtles are an endangered species. Those who were caught selling turtle eggs can be prosecuted. 

Then there was Tuntung, from similar turtle species.  I don't know what it is called in English but the scientific name is Batagur baska. The tuntung I know lay eggs by the river. But there are also sea tuntung, if I am not mistaken.  Whenever it is available at our local wet market, my grandfather, Tok Din, would buy a few tuntung eggs. It has the same soft shell and same taste as the turtle eggs.  The only difference is it's an oval shape. What irritated me was Tok Din wouldn't wanna share the tuntung eggs with us, the rest of the household.  So I saved up my daily pocket money and asked him to buy me one whenever he goes to the market.  In 1981 it cost me 75cents an egg. It was a luxury! And it was the last time I had it.

Taste wise, to me, they are the same. 

Ever since turtle and tuntung was declared as an endangered species, I have not made any attempt to look for their eggs.  But my story is worth sharing since my kids will never be able to experience eating both eggs.

No comments: