Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What's your favorite flower?

It has always been yellow roses. But yellow rose is interpreted as a sign of jealousy but heck, they are just flowers. Red roses are too common, pink roses are too girly, whereas white...mmmm...pure. Too white, easily gets dirty. Nope its yellow roses. Hah.....

The name Orchid comes from the Greek "órkhis," literally meaning "testicle," because its root has a similar shape.(Credit to Wikipedia). That statement made me smiled.

Late last year I went back to my hometown and stumble across a night market. As I browsed around, I saw a booth selling various types of orchids. Orchids are cool, I think...and they lasted longer compared to other types of flowers. They are very independent and does not call for flamboyant attention.

Looking through the Chinese uncle's booth (that's what we normally call an elderly Chinese guy)and his selection of orchids, I brave myself (actually pretended as though I was an orchid expert)to put him to a test. After a few exchange words, he said, "this one very hard working. Always grow flowers." and pointed out to an orchid plant with 2 mature stalks. I can see what he meant. Each level of the orchid stem once sprouted stalk of orchid. The growth continues with new leaves and roots, sprouting from or next to those of the previous ones.

I agreed and I right away purchased that particular orchid plant. The orchid flowers were yellow in color. Hmmmm...yellow? Hah!

Hence, a couple of weeks later 2 stalks of the orchids bloomed maturely. I was so happy...my first ever orchid plant! Soon it was time, as natural cycle..one by one the flowers dropped....and gone.

However, in recent weeks, the orchid plant showed her fangs...take a look...6 stalks of orchid flowers! Woo hoo....I would like to thank my hubby for taking care of my orchid. Hehehe....



Well it looks like I need to add more orchids to my current collection.

No comments: