Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Doctor in the House


So what is the hype about this book? People were queuing up to purchase a copy. There are so many other books on Tun available at any bookstores but, this one is special because it was Tun's. He spent 8 years to write, re-write and finally published it. Well, not that I was exactly looking for it, but sure, why not. Lets join the party! So I went to get hold of a copy. A Doctor In The House was written by Malaysian 4th Prime Minister, Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad. It was the last copy available at Popular Book Store at Jusco Sri Kembangan. And by the way it cost me 100 buckarooooossssssssssss....

I have yet to start reading it but I came across positive reviews in our daily papers by various columnist. It is said that Tun exposed 'bunch of skeletons in the closet'. When the book came out, there were also several individuals, felt insecure and defended their past actions, ya know like...oh no it did not happened..., I was not involved.., bla bla bla. Tun was a visionary.

Below is quoted from the back cover of the book,

"The West has called him recalcitrant, racist, anti-Semitic and arrogant. The developing world, however, sees former Malaysian Prime Minister as a visionary champion, the rare leader who gave every Third World individual reason to stand tall. Even his harshest critics cannot deny that, above all else, he gave some of the most neglected countries courage, showing the way to a more hopeful future.

Here, with surgical precision, Dr Mahathir explores a nuanced history and scrutinizes his own role in the shaping of modern Malaysia."

For those who had read it,...do share some of your favorite section in the book. I will share my favorite chapter with you.

I also would like to share that in 1977 my dad accompanied Tun, family and entourage to an overseas trip. Based on photos in our safe keep they visited Washington DC, Los Angeles, Hawaii, and Japan. My dad was responsible for the protection and security around Tun's wife and children.

I grew up during Tun's tenure as Malaysian Prime Minister and the 2 things which impressed me the most when he vision Petronas Twin Tower and of course,...Putrajaya, into reality. Twin Tower is the Malaysian pride and the gigantic/huge buildings or structures (whatever you want to call it) in Putrajaya makes me as though I am in Gulliver's Travel. It always gives me shivers whenever I drive passed through. Sense of sereneness. Does that makes sense? Go figure,hah!

I am Proud to be a Malaysian and happy reading!

No comments: