Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Talk About Innocence.

I cannot recall what triggered this memory of me being in the school band. But hope you will enjoy this.

Oh yes, now I remember. On 02-Apr Miss Cockroach attended a 2 hour performance by Seri Puteri Symphonic Winds at Seri Puteri School in Cyberjaya. She said she enjoyed it very much. She has been looking forward to this event a month earlier when she purchased the RM10 ticket. In fact Miss Cockroach was sick that weekend and she insisted of going to watch Symphonic Winds. A little hesitate, I let her go. Doctor gave her the 'okay' if she takes her medications on time.

When she came back she told us of her experienced and my other half started his search on You Tube of Symphonic Winds.  Wow! They are good. They have performed in Singapore and won a gold medal at the Australian International Music Festival in Sydney. Jangan marah...they also performed in the Sydney Opera House!

So this brings back memory of my primary school band. Small but the pride of our school....hahahaaaa. We normally performed at school events and one time, we were invited to attend a band competition in Ipoh.

Well, this is not the performance in Ipoh. This is our school band. Consist of one xylophone, 2-3 triangles, a drum, a blow keyboard (sorry not sure what it is called) and bunch of us on recorders. Oh yes we had one cymbal. That was our uniform minus the paper mache sash. I am on the right with the white recorder. I had a blast. Amazing and with that skill I can play local pop songs too during my free time until my grandfather asked me to shut-up.
We have been practicing hard to give our best in Ipoh. Finally the day came and we boarded a school bus and headed for Ipoh. Hopes for our band can at least come in top three. Who can be better than us.....The bus slowed down and we passed a huge field and as I gazed I wonder who were these people in red and gold uniforms and tall hat with feathers.....Unbeknownst to me, our music teacher (I cannot remember his name, but it'll come, it'll come....) announced that we have arrived. Stepped out of the bus and heard loud banging coming from a hall. We walked over and saw a band of maybe 40 musicians with complete uniform attire playing instruments I could not describe...there were short trumpets, curled up trumpet and a long extended trumpet, single drums and even side by side drums....but....what impresses me the most was the handheld xylophones....not one but maybe 4 to 5 of them. Enjoyed their performance and they do look kind of funny with the feathered hats.

Then it was our performance....we were nervous, we performed, we did not make a single mistake......and we left.  So we did not win. Perhaps luck was not on our side. On the bright side, it was a really good experience and an eye opener....talk about innocence, huh?

No comments: