Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

Rendang Daging Manis Mak Tok Part 2

Recently, I attended Pak Teh's open house in Tiara Setiawangsa. Pak Teh is my other half's cousin.

Main dish was lamb curry, masak lemak kuning itik and rendang daging manis.What caught my attention was the rendang daging manis with thick gravy.  It really reminded me of my late MIL's rendang manis. I digged the history of the rendang from my SIL and what I found out, it originate from my other halfs' aunt, whom we called Mak Datin or Mak Mah.

But I much more enjoyed my late MIL's version.
As for the recipe, well, when it comes to malay cooking, it's always 'agak-agak' or it's up to your own judgement.....

Boil or pressure cook your meat. Once tender separate the meat and the reduced stock.
(Cooking tips: for tender meat, when boiling put a metal spoon for the 1st 20 minutes. Then take it out. Continue boiling the meat. Well if you have pressure cooker than you can forgo the tips...muahahaha).

Slice the tender meat thinly but not too thin, agak-agak la. Then fry it in hot oil for about 2-3 minutes depending how big is your frying pan. The bigger quantity you cook the longer time it will take to achieve a semi crispy texture. Set it aside once complete.

Slice generous amount of garlic and ginger and fry them in hot oil. Agak-agak la the ratio of oil in your cooking. Add chili paste, sugar and salt to your taste. Once the oil has risen to the top, add the meat and stir thoroughly. How long to cook? Gheezz agak-agak la again. I pun tak sure.

Then add the stock and stir until it thickens.  Add kerisek. And finally generous amount of dried shallots. When I said generous amount, I really meant it.

Something just click, does it require coconut milk? Hummmmppp sorry folks need to get back on that.

No comments: