Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Rayban


It was recently that my hubby told me he found my old Ray Ban sunglasses stashed somewhere in a box up in the attic. He asked whether I wanna sell it off. And I replied, No, sayang la.....It brought about fond memories...hehehehe......

My American made Ray Ban was purchased just days before I flew off to the States. The cash money I got from my dad which was in US dollars, I exchanged it to RM for the sake of a pair of Rayban.I dashed to a supermarket in Klang town and without hesitant paid for my ever first Ray Ban. I am not so sure what's the big deal of owning one but today,....I understand why. Some of the American made pieces are now a collector's item.
 
 Ray-Ban is an American brand of sunglasses founded in 1937 by Bausch & Lomb. They were introduced for the US Army Air Force. I am just assuming that these sunglasses were a huge hit in the market ever since the movie Top Gun played in the cinema. You have the top actors such as Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, Kelly McGillis and Tom Skerritt all in Ray Ban shades. Nowadays you are only able to buy Italian made Ray Ban because sometime in 1999, Bausch & Lomb sold the brand to the Italian Luxottica Group.

In 1990 my pair of Ray Ban cost RM215 and I was told the value of this model today is estimated between RM700-900. Wow!
Me and my Ray Ban in Holland, Michigan.

No comments: