Pages

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Camping anyone?

10 Dec 2011 Al kisah ceritanya....

Mode : Romantic.
Location : Teluk Kemang. Camping Site. In a tent. By the Beach.
View : Surrounded by tall swaying coconut trees. Under the twinkling stars. Lunar eclipse. Camp fire.
Background Music : Waves hitting the beach. Soft wind playing magical tune.

It sounds like a romantic escapade as such we read in a novel.


I confess: I had never gone camping and I don't know whether I am going to enjoy myself. In fact, given the option of camping versus working 365 days a year, I’d happily choose the relative safety of my desk every day.

I was a bit skeptical with the camping trip in Teluk Kemang, Port Dickson. Why? Well, first of all camping never crossed my mind. I don't come from an outdoor adventure seeker family. Is that a crime?

So, I am not an outdoor person. My interpretation of outdoor vacation consist of shopping, shopping and more shopping. Hey, that's outdoor right? It was very difficult for me to accept the idea of a weekend in a tent. It is not my usual kind of a holiday, ya know.

My Bungalow.

Please don't get me wrong. I do like nature. I just like it from a distance. For example, from the inside of an air-conditioned car. Or in small doses, like on a short hike that ends with a hot shower in a proper bathroom.

Several weeks ago the initial campfire trip to Ulu Yam was canceled due to poor response. If the plan would have materialized, we were seriously considering to ship the kids only on the trip! Ha Ha Ha! Me and jungle a NO, NO. First thing that came to my mind was where will I poo poo and pee pee? How am I going to sleep with mosquitoes buzzing in my ears? But later they changed the location to a camping site in Teluk Kemang.

Well, I guess it turn out find. It wasn't that bad. There is always a first time for everything, as the say. So this mini family reunion was organized by my sister-in-laws. Normally once every four years, more or less, they will organized a huge reunion. Their family reunions, it turns out, are a big deal. This time round they rented out a small area of the campground and assembled our own tents. About 30 of us attended a one night tent-based reunion experience.
Setting up our own tents.

Shakira.

When I have nothing to do I felt miserable and how I longed for Internet access. The kids surely had a blast. They were on the beach the whole evening as well as the next morning.

I would like to share my likes and dislikes based on what I experienced recently on my camping trip.

1) Sand - It gets ON everything, and in the tent. After we got home, and anything worn or used while camping that can be washed in the washing machine MUST be washed separately from anything that was NOT used while camping.

2) Public Bath/Toilet - I’d just rather have my own bathroom at the end of the day too.

3)Sound Pollution - Rude campsite neighbors who loudly scrammed their bikes not matter what time of the day.

4)Now sleeping in a tent under the sky and next to the beach is no longer a tale like in romance novel. After effect ouch! Your back will ache the next few days.

LIKES.

1) Cooking was fun. But washing and cleaning up wasn't.

2) The scenery was lovely - the wind, and we saw the moon eclipse that night, light house, sound of the waves next morning when I woke up and I surprised myself by finding our surroundings actually quite lovely.

3) Watching the sunset. You closed your eyes every five minute and you can notice the change. The sun goes down and down and down, and ….gone.

4) The tide rises little by little it gets closer to the edge of our beach front.

5) Cheap entertainment : fun to watch the BBQ session, cards games.

Well, what can I say....when you get older you tend to complain a lot (more like yapping...hehehe). But instead of out bursting it, I rather let my fingers do the work here.

Would I consider doing this again? Lets just say, I will decide when the next time comes....Happy camping, campers!

No comments: